Sunday, February 12, 2012

Comfort Food







Food is the most primitive form of comfort~Sheila Graham


When someone you love is diagnosed with cancer it is difficult to know what you can do for that person to make them feel better. Feeling powerless can drive you to question your strengths and challenge you to rise to the occasion.


My response to my mom's recent diagnosis of ovarian cancer is to cook nutritious, sustaining food for her. It's something I can do.


Mom just completed her first round of chemo, the final treatment a double dose which left her feeling tired, nauseous, and confined to the couch like having a terrible flu.


What could I do to help her stomach feel better and lift the blues that inevitably invade the psyche when you are unable to carry on with your everyday activities?


My grandmom's rice pudding is something I always loved because it was a very comforting food. It was a food my father loved and grew up with also. I no longer have my grandmom's recipe for rice pudding but I found a recipe for  in a cancer cookbook and thought it would be wonderful to make it for my mom.


This week's cancer menu: Chicken Chili and Rice Pudding

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot to me! Please stop by and say hi!