Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Missing the Mark


 

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

This past weekend was my birthday. I turned 41. A lot has happened in my life over the past 5 years, enough unpleasant stuff that the good stuff  has become  very challenging to recognize. I was raised Catholic and I remember a quote explaining what faith is: Faith is when have nothing left to hold on to.

Our faith in ourselves and our creativity is constantly challenged by life.
 Until it is all we have to get us through.
 Well, faith in art is what I have to hold on to now.

My college art professor loved to tell me that I "missed the mark". It used to bother me but it doesn't anymore. Maybe missing the mark is who I am.  I've spent a lot of time and energy in pursuit of perfection with nothing to show for it. In the words of Dr. Phil, "How's that working for you?" The answer is, it is NOT WORKING!

Hmmmm....missing the mark....Maybe it's time to embrace my imperfections and stop letting my fear of missing the mark stop me from aiming for the mark.
Or, better yet, OFF the mark!




1 comment:

  1. Super proud of you my friend!! I hope this journey is one to bring you the peace and joy you OH so deserve... you are the "art" in my life and I'm thankful everyday! Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me! Please stop by and say hi!