Thursday, February 2, 2012








"Someday is not a day of the week." ~Author Unknown


I've spent most of my adult years intending to "get around to my art" and never quite fulfilling the intention. The excuse? No time, too busy, the usual, "someday when life is less chaotic I will devote more time to my art."
Then one day, my technologically savvy (and creatively talented) coworker introduced me to Google Reader and  I was instantly hooked. I searched out art blogs and started subscribing to feeds like a crazy person. So much to look at and read about! So many talented people with art to share! I was fascinated by the art communities and networking opportunities that are so readily available online for creative people like myself not to mention the endless inspiration and joy that comes from sharing creativity! 

That was it! I had asolutely no excuse for neglecting my creative spirit any longer! It was time to make today my someday.
So, one night while making dinner, I brought my sketchbook, ebony pencil, koi watercolor set, and Staedtler pigment liner into the kitchen with me and kept it on the counter "just in case". Cooking is meditation to me and sometimes I have creative epiphanies while chopping, dicing, or slicing. That day, I sliced a lemon in half for the salad dressing I was making and thought to myself, draw it! A few nights later I was beginning to fill my sketchbook with little works of art. Wow! I was doing it!

So that's what it's all about: Going to the page every day with ideas no matter how simple or complex. It keeps my sketchbook full of inspiration for weekends when I have more time to sit down and really get into a project. Late afternoons in the kitchen surrounded by the aromas of dinner cooking and the youthful energy of my daughter sitting at the counter working on her homework and talking about her day has been the most natural time for me to direct my own creative energy.





1 comment:

  1. I love it! Such a feel-good thing :-) You go girl! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me! Please stop by and say hi!