Friday, March 9, 2012



Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Since I haven't been practicing my art regularly for a good part of my adult life, I have a hard time saying I am an "artist". I have often referred to myself as an "amateur" artist.  I remember when I started drawing portraits and how critical I was of my work (still am!!) but felt like I couldn't look at my work objectively (still can't!!). Was it ok? Was it not? Was I missing things that I couldn't see but a more experienced artist would see as blatantly wrong and amateurish? I look back at my portraits now and think to myself, wow! I did that! It might not be perfect but I showed up on the page and did my best.
Not bad for an amateur!


Happy Weekend Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I have a similar feeling - and have sort of had to train myself to refer to "me" as an artist. I think in my head the artist term has always been reserved for people who do this full time, and who are always presenting in shows and galleries. I identify more with "crafter," maybe because it feels less pressured. Regardless, we make art, so why not? Love the portrait - the detail is just incredible. For some reason her hair feels especially loose and real to me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me! Please stop by and say hi!