Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Rest Period

Mid-winter in the Midwest is always a little challenging. Grey skies and cold weather prove uninspiring while leafless trees and frozen ground just make me want to curl up under a blanket and hide for a while. Summer is still a little too far away to get excited about and spring can be non-existent around here. Let's face it, it's a depressing time of the year. Not much to look at or to look forward to. Even though the sun has been out and I've been taking my vitamin D I'm still struggling with finding my energy and inspiration. In spite of a few new projects, I feel like I'm spinning my wheels, not getting anywhere. I feel the proverbial dark cloud looming over my head and that I'm living inside of myself a lot. I feel like my spirit went dormant. So, naturally I ask myself the question, "what the heck is wrong with me?"
Maybe feeling dormant isn't a bad thing. Maybe I shouldn't feel like I have to be constantly productive or that I have to apologize for being a little slower, a little off right now. If trees can do it, why can’t I? We are all a part of the natural cycle, right? As humans, we feel we need to endlessly & tirelessly keep going, ignoring our mental, physical, and spiritual well-being but nature has a better idea: Take a break in order to guarantee prosperity in livlier times. Which also guarantees our survival.  Instead of fuming at my psyche for going on vacation without me, I should join it and lay dormant for a while. Conserve my energy for future growth and prosperity.
I think nature's got it right.
Just becasue we're not actively doing something doesn't mean we're not still growing.

Journal Page in Progress


Journal Page in Progress

Journal Page in Progress

2 comments:

  1. lovely blog & pages! i know all about the midwestern dormancy. stuff may not be happening but it's still percolation time!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me! Please stop by and say hi!