Monday, May 7, 2012

Vision

"...vision is always ahead of execution- and it should be. Vision, Uncertainty and Knowledge of Materials are inevitabilities that all artists must acknowledge and learn from: vision is always ahead of execution, knowledge of materials is your contact with reality, and uncertainty is a virtue"   Art and Fear  by David Bayles and Ted Orland


I read this quote on a blog that I follow called Contemplating the Moon.  Bridgette Guerzon Mills is a wonderful artist and teacher with a great blog (you should check it out). Her link is on my blog post from 4/12/12.
Anyway......I'm totally getting this book (Art and Fear)so thank you for sharing, Bridgette!



I think it is  a great quote to reflect on while you begin your creative week. Certainly helpful stuff for me to think about after a creatively unactive weekend (feeling guilty and unproductive! Oh no! Sound familiar?)

Actually, I don't feel guilty at all it because this weekend was my best friend's son's First Communion! It was a special weekend for him and turned out to be a special weekend for me reconnecting with friends that, as we talked about on Saturday, don't see each other often enough because life gets in the way. It revived and recharged me and sometimes I need to remember to simply sit and savor that for a minute.


The quote is particularly timely for me because last night, when I finally had a couple of hours to start a new piece, my vision, materials, and uncertainty waged a battle on my canvas and in my soul!  I put a time frame on my creative process because I felt I had to "catch up". I wanted to have a photo to post today but things weren't coming together. I went to bed frustrated but gently reminded myself to breathe and let it flow. Hopefully I can find my calm center and cultivate my vision before attacking my canvas with materials tonight. If not, it might be time to knock out a journal page to get the art flowing.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    I love that quote--so true! That's a great book too. I should get it out and read it again. Thanks for your comment! :))

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me! Please stop by and say hi!