Thursday, May 31, 2012

Encaustic Effects with Acrylic Paints and Mediums



Using Acrylic paint and Gel Mediums to achieve an Encaustic look
Through my exploration of the wonderful world of mixed media, I have come across a mixed media medium that I had not heard of before. ENCAUSTIC. I'm in love with the effect of encaustic, or, hot wax painting. Painting in this way allows for a broad range of texture options, as tools and brushes can be used to shape the paint before it cools. Also, other materials can be collaged, layered, and suspended into the surface, creating dimension and texture in an interesting way. Here are some examples of encaustic work:
"Like the Tar Baby"
Mary Black

Where Memory Resides
"Where Memory Resides"
Bridgette Guerzon Mills

I have never taken a class or workshop in Encaustic and currently, cannot afford to purchase all of the materials to get started but I crave the finished look and wondered if I could achieve it using the materials I already have. I explored some online tutorials and found this video about creating the encaustic look with acrylics.
So I watched this great video by Patti Brady and gave it a try. I used the Gel Medium that I have which is a soft gel  but I'm thinking I will invest in some other Gel Mediums, the High Solid Gel being one that I am particularly interested in trying.

Here is my first attempt at this:



I primed the canvas with light body modeling paste and embedded the pieces of string in the paste ( I can't take credit for the string idea, it is an idea I saw done by an  encaustic artist whose style I admire). Then I did some underpainting in a gray acrylic. I let that dry and painted over that with a yellow acrylic paint, applying it heavier in some areas and wiping and scraping paint away in other areas to create depth and dimension and allowing the underpainting to show through. Then I tinted my Gel Medium with a little bit of yellow paint to ensure the next layer would be somewhat transparent. I applied this layer and then scratched texture into it with the end of a paint brush and created the circles with a wine cork.

The next thing I am going to do is rub some color into the textured areas to see what happens. Not sure what medium I should use to do this, though. The gel medium I have is glossy (I think I'd like to try the matte next time) so I'm not sure what will adhere to this. I suppose using acrylic would be the best bet but something wants me to to try rubbing chalk pastels into the grooves. We shall see....



1 comment:

  1. I enjoy looking at your art and watching your youtube videos. Thank you for the inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me! Please stop by and say hi!