Sunday, March 10, 2013

I'm Feeling Lucky

I once heard that luck is when preparedness meets opportunity. What this has meant to me in my life is to always be working towards my dreams and goals even when it feels like life is pulling me in a different direction or has other plans for me. And my life in the past 7 years has definitely pulled me in a direction that I had not intended to go. Everyone faces times of challenge in their lives so without going into my own gory details I will simply say that I have been blessed with good friends who inspire me every day and I have learned a lot through my experiences.
They say when things hit bottom the only way to go is up. Sometimes we make the mistake of trying to control that momentum only to find that we thwart our own efforts because we are trying too hard. The answer is to be open and take life as it comes, learning something from every experience along the way and letting that learning make us wiser and inform our journey.
Recently, I had a "lucky" experience that resulted in a change that was on my "to do" list of things I needed to do to rebuild my life. I decided to set the wheels in motion by updating my resume. I hadn't realized it, but there is a person in my life who is a highly talented & skilled Human Resources professional. I reached out to her and her willingness to help me out with my resume and expect nothing in return is something that now has to go on my "pay it forward" list. I'm always impressed by people who are simply willing. What a beautiful quality! I can only hope to be this kind of person in my own life.





So, I had a shiny new resume (quite a glowing representation of how wonderful I am, thank you very much you know who you are!) but I didn't really pursue any career opportunities right away. About a month and a half later, a friend of mine informed me of a position opening up at the company she works for. She asked if I was interested. I was hesitant. Change is scary. But then I thought about it and all of a sudden I was like, "Yes! I am definitely interested!"
Long story short, I was prepared when this opportunity presented itself to me The job couldn't have been more perfect for me, I endured the interview process, and I was hired. Everything about making this change has changed the trajectory of my life. Preparedness met opportunity.

I still have a long way to go (a 1,000 mile journey starts with a single step) but I will try to give up the need to control my life (or the illusion that I am, in fact, controlling my life)and be open to what life serves up to me. I think the more I try to control the world around me, the more angry and frustrated I find myself. The truth is, I can't control life but I can take control of myself and do things that directly relate to my goals and dreams preparing myself for the opportunities that come along on life's long and often bumpy road.

Time for a shout out to a great friend & very special person who's blog has been doing great! She's grown her readership and won a couple of awards for her blog recently. She has an amazing enthusiasm for life despite enduring some incredibly challenging allergies! She is someone who always makes lemonade out of life's lemons!
Check out her blog:


 

I will be with her at the GFAF Expo in Chicago April 20 & 21
stop by and say hi!



Congratulations to my friend, Jen, a.k.a. the Allergista!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much - you're too sweet! :-) I can't WAIT for the Expo - I can't wait to see what's what. And I love that art piece you posted! Love the colors and the contrast.

    And yay for making progress :-) One day at a time!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me! Please stop by and say hi!